Tuesday 13 September 2011

Further adventures in baking land ......

So, yesterday I decided it was time to try and bake bread. We have long lamented the fact that we can't find a decent loaf of bread over here (seriously - wtf is the obsession with sour dough?!?!?!), and as my beloved Philippa came with a dough hook I was finally out of excuses not to try.



Now, I'm usually a wholegrain kind of girl, but my little Kitchen Aid recipe book suggested a simple white easy rise loaf for beginners so that's what I went with. It was a wonderfully simple recipe - dump stuff in mixer and ..... errrr ....... mix! The recipe made two loaves, but i felt there was too much dough for the mixer and poor Philippa seemed to be struggling.








I persevered with the kneading until I started to fear for my little mixer's well being, then shaped the dough into loaves and popped them in the fridge to rest and rise.









I had little faith when I popped the first loaf in the oven, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a little dense, though I'm not sure if that was how it was supposed to be or if further kneading would have helped, but it was still tasty with a nice crunchy crust and made a suitable accompaniment to last night's soup.





As first attempts go I felt it could have been a lot worse, and there is something unbelievably satisfying about eating your own homemade bread!! Am I about to stop buying shop made bread? Well, probably not! But I'm definitely looking forward to having another go!! :-)

4 comments:

  1. WOW. I am thoroughly impressed with your mad bread-baking skills! You must teach me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you, my dear!! You might want to wait til i've tried it a few more times before i try and teach you anything ....! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are dead impressed by all this culinary skill, well done you! We love your blogs and get excited when one comes in!
    The loaf and cupcakes look delicious.
    Love,
    Pam and Roy xx

    ReplyDelete