Sunday 23 February 2014

The Widow Chronicles Part V - Say Hello To My Little Friend!

And now for a long overdue happy post!! Please allow me to introduce little Savannah, the latest addition to Clan Kavanagh!


About 10 days ago I got a cryptic call from my friend Rachel to say she had found a stray dog in our street playing with the traffic and could I come help as she didn't know what to do with her. Intrigued, I postponed my busy afternoon of back to back episodes of Boardwalk Empire and went to investigate. 

What I found was very sweet confused chihuahua with a ratty collar, no tags and claws that would have made Wolverine jealous! Not knowing what to do, we fashioned a makeshift leash and took her for a walk round the neighborhood to see if anyone recognized her or if she would recognize her home, but had no success. 

We thought for sure that when the after-work crowd hit the park at the end of the street to walk their dogs someone would recognize her as it is a very dog friendly area and everyone knows everyone, but no-one could help.

I offered to keep her overnight rather than taking her to a dog home, and we put up posters around the park and the neighborhood to see if anyone was looking for her. I certainly wasn't planning on keeping her at that stage, but as one night turned into five nights we started to bond and I began to think that maybe a puppy was just the distraction I need right now!


We kept the posters up over the weekend but got no response, and on the Monday I took her to the vet to see if she had a micro chip, which I was very happy to find that she did not! 

Despite the signs of neglect, she is really well behaved and has obviously had some training as we have had no toilet accidents in the house and she is (mostly) very calm and has quickly made herself at home. If I were to pick a dog for myself I probably wouldn't have chosen a chihuahua, but she has all the personality traits I would look for so we are a perfect match!

Having Savannah has been really good for me as she has put some structure back in my day and given me a purpose again. I am getting up at a reasonable hour instead of lying in bed til lunchtime, going to bed at a reasonable hour rather than staying up til 2 or 3am watching tv, getting out of the house 4 times a day where before days could go by before I saw outside, and she is wonderful company, whether we are just curled up on the sofa or chasing balls around the kitchen. She is without a doubt the best thing to happen to me this year!


Lousy timing though as I am off to Scotland tomorrow for three weeks! Luckily Rachel is a dog lover too and will be taking care of Savannah for most of my trip - thanks Rachel!! I am a little worried though, as by the time I get back she will have lived with Rachel for longer than she has lived with me and she might decide she prefers to stay!! I have told Rachel that I will be expecting regular Skype dates with my puppy while I am away, and I plan to leave a photo of me beside her bed so she doesn't forget about me!!!

Well, on that note I should probably go start on my packing as I am notorious for running around at the last minute throwing forgotten things into my suitcase, but I think we all know how I will really be spending my day ...... WOOF!! 


2 comments: