Thursday 20 February 2014

The Widow Chronicles Part III - Milestones


It's been a funny old month since I wrote last. There have been a lot of fun times peppered with some very quiet days with nothing to do and lots of time to dwell on my loss, and on these days it has been very hard to motivate myself to do anything positive or productive. I have also experienced the first of my Post-Peter milestones which were a bit strange but thankfully not as traumatic as they could have been. 

First up was my birthday at the beginning of the month. My wonderful friends made a huge effort to help me celebrate with a week full of activities, and while I definitely had a lot of fun it didn't really feel like a birthday without him. The best gift I received this year was a visit from my dear dear friends from Scotland, Lynsey & Kieran, and they provided a perfect distraction! It was so wonderful to have a chance to catch up with them properly, and we packed their week with lots of drinking and pizza and laughing, and sadly for Kieran a wee bout of food poisoning :-(




Next up was Valentine's Day. Now, Peter and I never really celebrated Valentine's Day - going out for dinner always seemed such a con as the restaurants were always over-booked serving over-priced restricted menus, so we would usually stay in and spend the money on a couple of nice steaks or a takeaway and a really good bottle of wine. Once again, though, I was fortunate enough to have a perfect distraction in the shape of the lovely Chika & Casey who came round to entertain me with some deeeelicious wine, and a small adorable stray chihuahua that Rachel had found playing with the traffic outside our complex and I had agreed to look after while we tried to find her owner (more on her later).




I won't lie, I did get a bit tipsy and weepy later on that night, but my new canine buddy did a grand job of cheering me up - it was quite hard to stay sad with that adorable face staring up at me!!

The third milestone was a less formal one and really caught me by surprise - my first concert without him. Last Thursday I went to see Imagine Dragons, and while they were bloody brilliant, it was hard to fully get into the night. My mind kept straying to how much he would have enjoyed it, how much I would like to have told him all about it when I got home, and then all the brilliant times that we had had at concerts together over the years. 

Randomly, the concert was the milestone that upset me the most, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to that as our life together was full of happy memories and fun times that we had together and unless I plan on becoming a hermit (nae chance!) I will come across more and more of these as the year goes on. Hopefully they will get easier, and perhaps I can at least be a little more prepared in future!




That's pretty much all I have to say for now. I think the puppy deserves a post all to herself so I will tell you all about her in a day or two - we're off to the vet tomorrow to get her checked out and make sure she is healthy so hopefully I will have happy news there! I will also post full details and directions for Peter's Scottish memorial, which is happening on Saturday March 1st, as soon as I have them confirmed. 

Right, I'm off to make some lunch. Catch y'all later!! x




2 comments: